You have probably done some research on wood pellets but may still be unsure of what to buy for your smoker grill. This is understandable as there are so many wood pellet brands, all claiming to be the best. While online shopping has made it easier to find these products, it’s another thing to decide which one to buy. We are aware that doing research takes a lot of time, and that’s why we have decided to do the work for you by combing through and comparing these products. We not only picked out the best but also have a buyer’s guide so you’ll know what to look for.
How to Choose the Best Wood Pellets
You’ve probably read reviews of people complaining of pellets that don’t work or live up to their expectations. This problem arises because they haven’t done sufficient research or have bought a low quality product. Here are some of the factors to keep in mind.
- Heat Output: wood pellet heat is determined in BTU, and the higher the BTU the better the performance. Look for those in the 8000 to 8500 range. If you see it being marked “moisture free”, it indicates the rating when there is no water inside the pellet.
- No Additives: you should get pellets that don’t have cardboard glue or other additives. Additive free wood pellets yield less ash and are hotter.
- Limited Ash: wood pellet ash content refers to the amount of ash that is left in contrast with wood that has been burned. Wood pellets that have low ash content are ideal because your stove is more effective.
- Moisture Content: the moisture generated determines how long it’s going to take for the stove to light. The ideal moisture content is around 6.5% or under.
- Brand Reputation: buy only from companies that are known for their quality products. Doing so will save you a lot of trouble and time doing research.
- Size: wood pellet sizes vary, but short pellets are often preferable because they’re better at providing fuel for fire.
- Hard vs. Soft Pellets: this debate has been going on for some time now, and it really depends on your needs. For most, soft pellets will do as long as they are from a quality brand.
- Pleasant to Use: by pleasant we mean they don’t have any smells or chemicals.
These are the major factors you’ll want to consider. While cost is important, the ones we cited above should be prioritized.
CookinPellets 40PM Perfect Mix Smoking Pellets
CookinPellets Smoking Pellets are compatible with all grills so you’ll be able to use this without worrying about what will happen to your grill or smoker. These pellets have no artificial elements that could affect your cooking and use only the highest quality smoking woods. By using only quality wood, you get optimum results.
Cleaning is easy, and not having unpleasant elements make it an ideal choice for beginners as well as long time BBQ buffs. Not only does it use premium quality hardwoods, but only heart woods are utilized, no bark.
The pellet mix is superior to what you’d find in most other products. The smoke flavor is superb and it is very efficient when it comes to providing fuel for your stove. The quality is dependable too: as customers have noted, they’ve been using CookinPellets for years and it hasn’t disappointed them.
The pellets also get bonus points for versatility: apart from what we already pointed out, they’re also great for Boston butts and reaches high temperatures faster than your typical products. They can for instance, get up to 195 F in ten hours, whereas with other pellets that would be 14 hours or more.
- 100% hardwood
- Made from a combination of apple, hard apple and cherry, with hickory as a base.
- Designed for both short and long cooks.
- The pellet comes with an instant read thermometer which tells display C and F temperature, low battery indicator and an auto shutdown.
- The wood pellets are designed for grilling and cooking BBQ, steaks, turkey and other foods.
- None of the pellets use filler wood or oil, so you get the best results.
- These wood pellets are 100% hickory, with no artificial elements that could affect the results.
- Doesn’t have alder filler
- Has no smell
- Compatible with all grills
- Better for meat than cold smoking cheese
CookinPellets are as good as they come, whether it’s for pulled pork, brisket, meat or chicken. There is some ash residue but that’s to be expected with these products. That being said, they’re easy to clean and it doesn’t cause any problems, so this deserves a place in our list.
RecTec Grills Ultimate Blend Pellets, 40 lbs.
RecTec Ultimate Blends are made from a special blend of hickory and oak and are ideal for cooking meats, turkey, barbecue and other foods. As you might expect from quality pellets, it is efficient at fueling up your stove while keeping ash residue to a minimum. Even if you cook pork and other foods, the pellets are still easier to manage compared to similar products.
Another good thing about Ultimate Blends is that it doesn’t contain any filler. The way the pellets have been put together also means it’s ideal for smoking. If you have a RecTec grill and want to get the best cooking results, this is what you’ll want to use.
Compared to other wood pellets, RecTec does not produce a lot of ash so you don’t have to do a lot of cleaning. Even if you grill for hours on end, the ash it produces is still less compared to what you’d get with other wood pellets.
These pellets also keep the temperature where you want it to be. Once you’ve set the temperature, it will be there and not deviate more than a degree or two. While there is a lot of competition, these pellets more than hold their own when it comes to flavor.
- These pellets are built from 100% natural hardwood.
- Ultimate Blend pellets have been prepared so they’re compatible with a wide array of pellet grills.
- The pellets’ density enables them to hold lots of energy while maintaining a compact form.
- Because the pellets are small, they’re easier to use and store in the bag.
- The pellets are all the same size so it’s easy to automate the feeding process.
- The pellets’ formulation means they are better packed compared to a hardwood log.
- Quality is consistent
- Works great as stove fuel
- Excellent blend
- Package does not indicate the blend percentage of oak and hickory
These pellets live up to their name because the blend is exceptionally good. It is not every day that you’ll find a hickory and oak blend work, but here it is. Add the fact that it’s compatible with popular grills and it’s easy to give this a solid buy.
Louisiana Grills 55410 Tennessee Whiskey Pellets, 40-Pound
The 55410 pellets are made for the serious cook, as they burn faster and are efficiently when ranged against typical wood pellets. These pellets are not only cleaner and hotter, but they are also clean and natural.
As you might expect from a quality product, it does not have any have any chemicals, glues, spray scents or other elements that could affect the results. Each pallet is also kept in place by the wood’s natural lignin. These are natural polymers and have not been tampered in any way.
The wood pellets are perfect for steaks, burgers, chicken and other red steaks. However, it is also good for fish. Even if you’re new to smoking you’ll notice the difference in taste. You won’t for instance, mistake this for meat as the flavor is clean, crisp and distinguishable. The pellets are especially effective if the food does not have a lot of rub.
Overall the quality is right up there with more high end pellets. The blend is just right for different foods, and the smoky flavor is what you’d expect from a quality brand. It is not just the taste though as it is also the smell. From the smell alone you can tell it’s different from the rest.
- The pellets are made off high quality 20/80 blending of oak and whiskey barrel to ensure quality.
- Whiskey ground barrels are used to make the pellets ensure they’re of the highest quality possible.
- The wood used for the pellets are obtained in the US.
- The pellets generate a smoky, sweet flavor that is most suitable for red meats.
- The pellets burn cleaner and faster compared to other wood pellets.
- Great for grilling different foods
- Low ash volume
- Produces a smoky flavor
- Takes more time to burn when long smoking under 170 F
These pellets are ideal if you love red meats and want that smoky flavor. If you’re new to grilling and smoking, then these pellets may be to your liking. You will be able to smell and taste the difference when you cook. Unlike other wood pellets, the smoky flavor strikes the right balance between sweetness and strength.
Lumber Jack 100 Percent Mesquite BBQ Grilling Pellets 40 LB Bag
The wood pellets that made this list did so because of their quality, and Lumber Jack is no exception. These mesquite pellets are processed to maximum flavor for your food, which makes this the appropriate choice for those who like to smoke meats frequently.
Lumber Jack isn’t kidding when they say the pellets are high quality. The flavors come out quickly and clearly, without bitterness or bark. The pellets burn evenly and also produce consistent results.
Lumber Jack mesquite pellets are as good as advertised when it comes to results. The flavors come out in the way you want them, and it has none of the unpleasant taste than other wood pellets. For all the smoky flavor Lumber Jack produces, the ash production is low so it’s easy to clean up after.
The smoke is clean and the blend is among the best that Lumber Jack has made. The consistency is evident even when you’re using it in different types of smokers. In addition, the pellets produce excellent results when you use it in a pizza oven. And yes, the food tastes great and the flavors come out.
- The company actually plants real trees and uses them too make these pellets, ensuring they meet the highest processing standards.
- The wood pellets are small, only 1/4 inch diameter and just an inch long. As was pointed out earlier, smaller wood pellets are ideal because they burn quickly and cleanly.
- The BTUs are in the 8500 range per pound so you get optimum results when using them.
- These mesquite wood pellets come in various forms and flavors including maple, apple, oak, cherry and hickory.
- These are 100% mesquite.
- The pellets work with different types of smokers.
- Produce excellent flavor
- Easy to clean
- Compatible with different types of grills
- The bags are a little too thin and could tear
There is no lacking of options if you’re looking for wood pellets online, but we’re giving this our highest recommendation as it does what a wood pellet is supposed to do. No matter which grills you use it for, the results are exceptionally good.
Q Pellets Competition Blend BBQ Grilling and Smoking Pellets
Q Pellets are among the best known in the industry, and we have included them here because their quality is comparable to others. Unlike other pellets, the Q does not distinguish between smoker brands so you can choose the one you like.
These pellets are perfect for rib eye steaks and other red meats, and it is also good for chicken, barbecue and other foods. Even if you cook a lot of food, it doesn’t generate a lot of ash. The pellets last a lot longer, saving you time and money. Even if you set the temperature to 400 degrees, you won’t need to refill.
Compared to other pellet brands, the Q is more efficient when it comes to fueling your smoker. You will also taste the difference when it comes to the food you are cooking. While a lot of factors come into play, the one constant is that the pellets produce more smoke, giving your meat that extra flavor.
What it comes down to is this: if you’re looking for wood pellets that add a lot of smoky flavor and are easy to maintain, Q Pellets are as good an option as any.
- The pellets are made from the highest quality materials, with each pellet processed specifically for smoking and grilling.
- The pellets are compatible with all types of pellet smokers and grills so compatibility won’t be a problem.
- The pellets don’t produce a lot of ash you don’t need to do a lot of cleanup after using them.
- Its BTU output is high enough to give food the smoky flavor you want, but it does so without leaving a lot of ash behind.
- The pellets do not contain any scents, oils, sprays, fillers or other artificial ingredients that could have an adverse effect on the pellets.
- No sprays or oils used
- Very low ash
- High BTU
- Better for meat than chicken
There are a lot of wood pellets, but only a few of them are able to provide the proper blend. Q Pellets were able to get it right. If you’re looking for wood pellets that is good for general smoking, then Q Pellets could be what you’re looking for.
Having a pellet oven stove can be a lot of fun, but you’re only going to get maximum benefits if you have the right kind of pellets. For a beginner, it’s so easy to commit a mistake and get unsatisfactory results. The truth is even if you have the best pellet stove, it’s not going to be of much use unless the pellet is the right type. A good analogy is a car as it needs the right fuel to run.
Hopefully this review guide has been able to provide you with the information necessary to make the right purchase. We have tried to give you a detailed buyer’s guide so if you’re a first time buyer you’ll get maximum value. At the same time, we made sure the reviews cover all the pertinent points.
As to which of the wood pellets here is the best, all of them are good and provide all the information you’re looking for. You may prefer one over the other, but whichever pellet you go with, your stove pellet will be all the better for it. Good luck!